Today, while diagnosing a computer system at my workplace, for Worms & Viruses, I was left locked out by the Operating System Windows XP. As my audit says, I diagnosed Windows for Virus and Worm, followed by, I installed a trial version of Kaspersky Anti-virus system, which actually quarantined a lot of infected system files, like rundll32.exe, userinit.exe, winlogon.exe, notepad.exe, etc…Finally, it prompted to restart the computer, and I was startled when Windows prompted Logon Password.
When I reviewed my audit log, I found that Kaspersky Antivirus, quarantined the Winlogon.exe & Userinit.exe, files which are mandatory for the Operating System to Logon. Finally, I manage to fix it working by replacing fresh copy of Unserinit.exe from the Windows XP CD to the Windows Directory. Here is a procedure below:
- Insert Windows XP Bootable Disk in to CD Drive.
- Boot the computer from the CD, and run windows XP setup.
- On the Startup System press R to enter Recovery Console.
- On the recovery console screen, enter the administrator password (if any) else simply press enter to continue.
- Next, type the following,
–> D: (Press Enter), where D is the CD ROM Drive letter.
–> CD I386 (Press Enter)
–> EXPAND USERINIT.EXE C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32 (Press Enter)
- Restart the computer and remove the Windows XP CD ROM from the CD Drive.